Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Niacin Flush Really Sucks

Here I was so happy to find the huge bottle of niacin while cleaning house.  While my health insurance covers all my prescriptions, I pay for my niacin out of pocket and its not particularly cheap.

So this morning I switched from the no-flush niacin that I've been taking for a month or so to the normal niacin (ie flushing).  When the flush was mentioned by my doctor and my co-ag nurse nothing was ever said about being so hot that you could self-combust and they also never mentioned gross amounts of bowel movements and/or abdominal cramps.

Right now I'm alternating between cold chills and the flushing.  This is one of the most unpleasant things I've ever gone through.  I think this even trumps the time when my doctor hit a nerve (that he hadn't deadened enough) while doing in-office surgery on my ankle.

I'm going back to the no-flush niacin no matter what it costs. Flushing SUCKS!!

No comments: