Friday, May 27, 2011

Ask and You Shall Receive (Sometimes Anyway)

Well today I moved out of my comfort zone and asked a total stranger for a ride to CEC (the electric company here).

The problems were: I had to pay $36.00 to CEC today (no ifs ands or buts about it) AND the closest bus stop was at least a mile away each way (did I mention its windy today, with a chance of rain and/or hail?)

I had asked the park manager yesterday if he could give me a ride but he was leaving on vacation and suggested I call this other person.

What does any of this have to do with online activities? Well, for me asking for help online or offline is difficult. I am shy and retiring (stop laughing, I said RETIRING not RETARDED!! rofl). All jokes aside, I am shy and I try to be independent.

But what is the worst that can happen if you ask for help? The absolute worst is that the person will say no. Having someone say no to you is not the worst thing in the world.

Most people will say yes though--whether the request is offline or online--because they either like helping other people or they like sharing what works for them (particularly if its something they have developed themselves).

So if you see somebody doing something with their online promotions that seems unique or interesting to you, contact the person.

Say something along the lines of "I saw you promoting such and such opportunity at this traffic exchange; how's that working out for you?"

Again, the worst thing that can happen is that the person will say I'm not interested in sharing my methods or my results with you.  And even if they aren't interested in sharing their methods or results they might have ideas of where you can go to find help (webinars, e-books, etc).

No comments: