Thursday, December 9, 2010

Good Samaritans

On a day that had already proven itself to be really crappy (I found out this morning that I lost my job that I'd had for exactly a month) I found out in the evening that some nice person *probably the manager of my mobile home park* had stacked my remaining firewood in my carport and cleaned off my driveway.

Now if it was the manager, he lives across the street from me and was probably tired of looking of the mess in the driveway and carport.

In addition we aren't really supposed to park on the street overnight and I had parked on the street from Wednesday morning (last week) until Thursday night (this week).

The wood was delivered last Wednesday afternoon and  I'd managed to stack some of it on my back porch before it started snowing Wednesday night.

Then when it started thawing I'd thrown a lot of the firewood into the carport to prevent it from getting absolutely soaked.  I also used some of the snow covered wood in the woodstove, I discovered that snow-covered wood does burn if you put it in an already hot fire!

With my horrible job schedule (5:30 am to 2:30 pm) I wasn't getting much done inside or outside, and the light on the back porch gives new meaning to the words 'the ghost in the machine' -- ie it comes on when and if it feels like it, flickers off and on again when it feels like it.

Working in the dark on an icy driveway sounded like a recipe for disaster especially given my normal klutziness, so I didn't do much on the wood.  I'm sure the park manager figured I would leave it there until hell froze over (I think he realizes that I'm lazy, and I know he knows about my health problems) so he took care of it himself.

I'm very grateful that I won't have to do anything wood-related for a while, losing my job was just one more blow in a long series of blows.

No comments: